Monday, October 4, 2010

Rhoda's Studio




I went to Rhoda's studio the other day. I have always been a huge fan of her art, but she is pushing the envelope and doing astounding work. Some pieces are very small, you could hold them in one hand - some have truly heroic proportions. One piece is already easily over one hundred pounds. Looking into the unfinished top you can see the elaborate clay structural supports.

On a drying shelf nearby is a platter, supported by a garland of organic shell-like forms. The smooth inside of the platter puts me in mind of a giant mussel shell held aloft with an exuberant encrustation of barnacles. I told her I've dreamed of making such a thing. I think she has that effect on artists.

Adrian

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the show!!!

    The media blasts went out and I'll start following up today. Let's hope the world is ready for the Arts Renaissance in West Chester.

    ReplyDelete