Saturday, October 9, 2010

Rhoda and Mike Came to Dinner


Rhoda and Mike came over for dinner last night. We went over Jeff's beautifully designed catalogue again (as per his instructions) to see if there were any changes to make. Every time this catalogue goes through Jeff's hands he makes it more beautiful, more perfect. I don't know what his limits are but we have not found them yet.

Rhoda and I made a pact yesterday promising we would not talk about art all night. We didn't really stick to it, but the four of did have a great time talking about other stuff and our lives in general. Rhoda and Mike are such a great couple, as well as being wonderful individuals.

But! before I appear too disingenuous, I must admit I did have a minor agenda: Paint and Clay. A week ago Rhoda returned a plate she had bisque fired for me. It's a non-functional plate with a snake and frog and I still have a lot of work to do before it is finished. The piece is inspired by the great ceramicist Bernard Palissy (1510-1590) and his 19th century French followers like Joseph Landais and Charles-Jean Avisseau. I can't control ceramic glazes well enough yet so I painted it with oils. When Rhoda came over I showed her my plate and the Palissy website, and asked, "Will I be able to do this?" She said, "Yes!"

Adrian

1 comment: