Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where?


Where does the time go? Where are all the people? Where am I going with this?
The show is finally up and I want to sit back and enjoy it. But I ask myself where did all the time go? I had a year to get ready for this show and I found myself working until the last minute. Waiting for paint to dry was not a problem considering I use wax and it basically dries instantly. Upon contemplating this last minute pressure maybe that is one of the reasons I paint with wax. For me there is nothing like last minute pressure to make decisions. They always seem right because they are responsive and instinctual.

Where are all the people? This is the other anxiety followed by the anxiety of mounting such a large show. Don’t get me wrong I’m very thankful for all that came out opening night and continue to see the show. I quietly worked in my studio and in my head for a year making this. The details where well thought out in regards to how I would make the wall, paint the wall and display everything that I created for the wall. Maybe it was the grandiose ideas I had in my head or maybe it was too many red carpet events I had watched on TV. We are in a “show stopper” society and we all want to be entertained quickly because we can’t seem to find the time. That is one reason I make big and bold work. I figure I have 3 minutes to make an impact. This thought helped me to get where I am going.

As I reflect on this show, I have a chance to look back and see where I am headed. The paintings I created focused on my family; it was a vain attempt for the pursuit of happiness. I wanted to stop, take a step back from the glamour I was creating and ask “What makes me happy?” After looking around and listening to the voice that kept telling me “paint what you know.” I decided to paint my family. Maybe that is why it took me so long to create the show. I was spending so much time enjoying my research that I didn’t stop to paint.

Cheers
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment